BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 19, 2010

Classroom Crayon Wreath



So I picked up this crayon wreath flyer at Hobby Lobby about a year ago. http://www.hobbylobby.com/assets/pdf/project_inspiration/projects/HL-209.pdf I bought the supplies then, but I'm just now getting to making it. It will be a cute addition to my classroom. For starters, I had to get rid of the ribbon slip knot thing! I figured out how to make the ribbon slip knot, but could not figure out how to apply it to the hoop. The directions do not give any indication on how to either, so I just glued my crayons down with hot glue.

Supplies:

  • 1 -8" embroidery hoop
  • 1 -12" embroidery hoop
  • 3 boxes of 24 ct. crayons
  • 1 roll of 3/8" craft ribbon
  • 1 wide ribbon piece for the hanger I used SU! 1 1/4" stripped grosgrain ribbon in Old Olive (item # 115618)
  • various die cuts (I used all SU! paper and the Cricut Locker Talk & Doodlecharm cartridge)
  • acrylic paint (to paint the hoops) and a sponge brush
  • hot glue gun (I used high temp) and glue sticks
  • Wooden apple cut out
  • paint pens (for name)

Steps:
  1. unscrew the screw from both hoops and hot glue the ends together
  2. paint the hoops desired color
  3. lay all crayons on the hoop in the desired color order. This helps with placement when you begin to glue them all down.
  4. glue down each crayon. If you are a perfectionist like me, make sure that all crayons are facing the same way.
  5. Thread craft ribbon in and out at the top of crayons and again at the bottom. I tied my knot behind the crayon to keep the ribbon tight.
  6. Attach die cuts with hot glue. I laminated mine first to help them last longer.
  7. Tie large bow at the top making sure you leave a long enough loop to hang the wreath. You can add hot glue for reinforcement on the hoop.

If you have any questions, please let me know! Thanks for looking!

13 comments:

scrappingwest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah March said...

What a FABULOUS project!!

Michele said...

Wow, this is the cutest ever wreath! Just love the bright fun colors, the design and ribbon!

Jean said...

This is great! I may have to scraplift this idea for my niece's first grade teacher.

Mrs. Green said...

Saw this on the Cricut message board. SO CUTE!!! I absolutely love it!

My Sheri CRAFTS said...

Very cool! Thanks for doing such detailed instructions! So glad you joined us at myshericrafts challenge this week!

Scrapping Cat said...

This wreath is fantastic...totally love it...thanks for posting to My Sheri Crafts!!!

P.G. Lamb said...

This is so cool! Thanks for joining our challenge at My Sheri Crafts!

Rhonda Emery said...

love your wreath. I am now a follower.
www.scraphappenwithRhonda.blogspot.com

Raquel said...

GREAT wreath and beautifully done. My daughter wants me to make her one now

Georgiana said...

Awesome wreath! I would definitely hang this on my classroom door!

Stay Creative,
Georgiana : )

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks, this is just the sort of idea I was looking for. I want to make a wreath out of office supplies as a gift for my child's teacher, that can be taken apart and used after the holidays. I'll try tying the slipknot thing to the base of the wreath, maybe with thread or wire. Happy Holidays!

Anne

The Kincaids said...

my mother in law is a para pro and i'm so looking forward to making this for her for Christmas. It will look so good in her room :)